I've got a surplus of lemons from my tree this year and I've had the best time trying to decide which recipes will best highlight their delicious flavor. I've done some experimenting with new lemon recipes and also added them to some of my tried and true lemon classics.
I also turned to Pinterest for some inspiring lemon recipes. There are a lot of recipes that CONTAIN lemon but I was looking for recipes that really FEATURED lemon as the star ingredient. I found this recipe for lemon scones on the Martha Stewart website and as much as I like the scone - I have to say that it missed the mark on the lemon flavor. I think the next time that I make it - I'll make some adjustments to really boost the lemon factor.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- lemon juice
- heavy cream
Combine 3/4 cup cream, 2 eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
Add to dry ingredients until just moistened.
Shape into a disk on a silpat lined baking sheet.
Cut into 8 wedges.
Combine 3 T. cream and egg.
Brush over scone.