Despite the resistance that I get to my meat-free meals, I continue to try and incorporate them into our meal plan. Thanks to my 8 years of personal chef experiences - I'm way beyond the point of getting discouraged by negative feedback to my food. (Too bad for them.)
I had high hopes that this Mexican Quinoa Burrito would help change the minds of my vegetarian phobic (Is that a thing?) family members. I will keep you in suspense about their opinions of this new meatless creation until the end of the post and let you guess how they reacted.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, ribs removed and diced small
- 1 cup well-rinsed quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes or regular diced tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini (approx 1 cup), diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice – from one lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Chop garlic and jalapeno. Saute in oil until softened.
What can I say? My girl will always be a carnivore. But that doesn't mean I will give up on my quest to find a meatless meal that she will love. I'm way to stubborn to give up that easily. Let me know if you've got a good meatless recipe that I can try. I'd love to hear your ideas.